Red confused manWe’ve heard a lot of rhetoric from the main political parties in the UK about curbing immigration from outside the EU. There is talk of a crack-down on illegal immigration – commonly known as “Overstaying”.
What then are the options for people in this dilemma?
Firstly, there are funds and practical assistance available for those who have overstayed their permission to be here but who wish to return to their country of origin voluntarily.
However, many people may not be in a position to take up this option due to their personal circumstances and they may well have a human rights claim to be here. Despite the climate in the UK the government must fulfil its human rights obligations when making immigration decisions.
In this regard, the government has set out certain situations whereby it is more likely to grant someone permission to remain in the UK based on their private or family life. Such as if a person has a British or European child who lives in the UK; if the child is not British or European but has lived here for at least seven years; if the person is married to a British or European citizen or in a significant relationship with such a person. Single people who have no children, may be able to get permission to stay depending on the length of time spent here.
So we can see there are options available for those wishing to be proactive in regularising their immigration status.
For advice specific to your case, contact Rachel Okello for your free initial telephone consultation on 0121 448 9255 or 07895327049.
Rachel Okello is a Solicitor who specialises in Immigration, Family & Human Rights law. She believes strongly in the right to family & private life for all. She accepts instructions nationally & internationally.